In this episode we’re celebrating 200 episodes of Novel Marketing. We’re going to talk about what has changed over the last 6 years, what we’ve learned, answer your questions LIVE! Give away prizes and so much more. One of our listeners suggested we do a 200 minute mega episode, this won’t be that long, but it is jam-packed with cool stuff. But first, some housekeeping about the live stream.
Welcome to the live stream!
- Live chat. Let’s test it! Post where you are from in the comments.
- How to ask questions.
- Some of the prizes we will be giving away will go to people who ask questions.
- You can also vote on the questions other people ask.
- Prize: Free half hour consultation with Jim
- How to enter: Ask a question.
- Audiofile 1 Chase Replogle from the PastorWriter podcast
- Winner: https://www.crowdcast.io/chipsampson
Things that have changed in the last five years:
- We don’t sound as terrible as we used to.
- The rise of Amazon’s dominance. Six years ago Borders still existed!
- The fall of social media.
- The rise of advertising. Mark Dawson effect.
- The rise of podcasting.
- The rise of indies. When we started we were focused mostly on traditionally published authors.
- More acceptance that if you write, you have to market
- Prize: Free Consultation with Thomas Umstattd
- How to enter: Ask a question.
- Audiofile 2 Karen Ball & Erin Taylor Young from the Write from the Deep Podcast
- Winner: https://www.crowdcast.io/maddiemozley
Big Dramas Over the Last Five Years
- Thomas’ Courtship Blog Post
- Thomas set the internet on fire and almost changed is brand in the process.
- Triggered a 3 month long hiatus from the show.
- 2016 Election
- We learned you don’t want us to talk about politics even obliquely.
- We were one of the first to say Americans don’t need to stress about European laws.
- We were one of the few to say not everyone needs to leave MailChimp, although, we left mailchimp ourselves
- Amazon Counterfeiting
- This is still a breaking story, but one we are covering.
Special Gifts for $5+ Patrons!
- For for $5+ Patrons: Podcast Host Directory
- For Everyone: 20% off all our courses! Just use coupon code “200” at checkout.
Thomas’ Favorite Episodes
- Episode 199 How to Create a Design Brief for Your Book Cover
- Why? Best resource we’ve made yet. The 7 page template is amazing.
- Episodes 041-043 – How to Create A Breakthrough Author Brand Series
- Why? Creating these episodes came from a breakthrough in thinking I had about branding. It is a step by step system for creating a brand. I should expand it into a course.
- Episode 054 – The Enclave Files #1 and Episode 074 The Enclave Files #2
- Doing a real time case study was scary. I was happy to report things worked out! Sales went up over 500%.
- Prize: Free Back Cover Copy by Jim
- How to Enter: Post how long you have been listening to the podcast in the comments.
- Audiofile 3: Mary DeMuth with Pray Every Day
- Winner: https://www.crowdcast.io/cherylshaver
Jim’s Favorite Episodes
- 101 – Why Mastermind Groups Give Bestselling Authors an Edge and How to Start One
- 197 How To Sell A Ton More Books With Public Speaking
- The more you speak, the more books you sell.
- 189 How to Craft a Compelling Elevator Pitch for Your Book & 111 – How to Write Best$elling Back Cover Copy
- This is where books are bought … or not bought.
- 165 How to Create Book Clubs Resources for Your Book
- Word of mouth, word of mouth, word of mouth …
- 156 – Six Things Readers are Looking for on Your Website
- This is your home … six ways to make it inviting.
- 130 – Myths Authors Believe
- There’s a lot of myths out there … we need to do another episode on this!
- Prize: Tax & Business Guide for Authors Course
- How to Enter: Post in the comments when your first book was published.
- Audio File #4: William Timothy Murray
- Winner: https://www.crowdcast.io/donovanmneal
Big Podcast Milestones
- Hitting 100,000 Downloads in 2017
- Launching the Five Year Plan
- We had no idea what a life changing course that would be for some people.
- Launching Patreon
- We now have 75 Patrons!
- Launching the Book Launch Blueprint
- Doing courses in real time turned out to be a lot of fun.
- Hitting 100 reviews on Apple Podcasts.
- This happened embarrassingly recently. We need to ask for reviews more often.
- Getting our first negative review on Apple Podcasts https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/novel-marketing/id721122555?mt=2&ls=1
- Switching to ZenCastr
- Better audio quality than Skype. Fewer botched recordings.
- Starting Post Episode Editing
- Our live episodes are usually hot messes!
- Moving to ConvertKit
- Prize: 5 Year Plan to Become a Bestselling Author
- How to Enter: Vote on someone else’s question.
- Audio File #5: James Scott Bell
- Winner: https://www.crowdcast.io/lkrupicka
10 Most Popular Episodes
We lost our historical data when we switched to blubrry podcast hosting. This is why all the episodes are after episode 100.
- #10 108 How Free Pulsing Can Help You Sell More Books with Jamie Foley
- #9 150 A Blueprint on How to Launch Your Book
- #8 106 10 Things Every Book Cover Needs
- #7 104 How to Independently Publish Your Book
- #6 152 How to Write 5000 Words an Hour with Chris Fox
- #5 109 12 Chrome Extensions Every Author Needs
- #4 105 How to Sell More Books With Amazon Ads w/ Lacy Williams
- #3 107 Book Cover Mistakes That Can Sabotage Your Marketing
- #2 190 How to Use Bookbub to Sell More Books with David Gaughran
- #1 111 How to Write Back Cover Copy
- Prize: Give Away Start a Writers Group Course
- How to Enter: Post in the comments how you listen to the podcast, app name whatever.
- Audio File #6: CJ and Shelley Hitz with Kingdom Writers
- Winner: https://www.crowdcast.io/timothy9942
Kay DiBianca says, “I love listening to the Novel Marketing podcast. There’s almost always something I can use … the advertising episodes, especially Facebook and Bookbub marketing have been a huge help. And thanks for having Randy Ingermanson on the show, I’m using a modified snowflake method and he’s going to be the guest interviewee on my blog on August 20 at kaydibianca.com.)”
Tammy Kennington says, “To grow my speaking and build my platform, I’m not charging a fee yet and as you guys suggested, I’ve created my own event this September! Thanks for all the tips, advice, and encouragement! And way to go on 200!”
Paul West says, “What a fun surprise to discover my question, about attempting to write truth and afraid of being found in error, inspired you to record episode 185, How To Keep Writing When You’re Scared About What Others Will Think” Even though you guys misinterpreted my question a bit, I still enjoyed the episode and you did solve part of my problem!”
We love it when our listeners suggest topics and ask questions, so thanks for the inspiration, Paul!
Kelly Rene says, “Thomas and Jim, you’re my regular companions on my walk around the park with my dog, Blossom. Your voices literally calm my anxious writing heart.”
Wow, love that, Kelly!
“You’ve really helped me establish myself as a writer, especially in my own mind.The episode on building an email list by setting up a lead magnet is what helped me the most. Plus you’ve cured me of feeling the need to run and hide in my closet every time I do something on social media. Currently I’m editing my second novella to be released soon. You gave me confidence and I am eternally grateful! I always said I’d become a patron when I earn something from this endeavor and I just received my first paycheck from Amazon for my novella, Saving Sabine. Thanks so much for all you guys do to help so many of us in our dreams of becoming authors. And congratulations, Thomas, on your beautiful baby and to you Jim on your latest book. I can’t wait to read it. Blessings to you both, Kelley Rene” www.kelleyrene.com
- Prize: Kindle Version of Rooms
- How to Enter: Just go to http://bit.ly/2Ovq9t9
- Audio File #7: Johnnie Alexander
- Winner: Everyone.
Question: Do you recommend doing preorders? What kind of promotion or paid advertising do you recommend for the preorder period? What do you then change once the book is released? (I write contemporary Christian fiction.)
Answer: Listen tohttps://www.novelmarketing.com/150/
Audio-books are so expensive to produce. Would it be a good idea to sign a contract with an audio-book publisher just to make the format available, even if they take 90% of profits after paying production costs?
Answer: No. www.acx.com
Thanks to the following folks for their congratulations and shout outs:
- Michelle Levigne author of Christmas Fiction Off the Beaten Path
- Eloise Whyte author of Soul Inspirationz
- Jennifer Lamont Leo author of You’re the Cream in My Coffee
- Mary Demuth author of We Too
- Michael Jack Webb author of Infernal Gates
- Jennifer Lamont Leo author of You’re the Cream in My Coffee
- Debra B. Diaz author of Woman of Sin
- Cheryl Elton author of Pathway of Peace: Living in a Growing Relationship with Christ
- Lauren Lynch author of The TimeDrifter Series
- CLR Peterson author of Lucia’s Renaissance
- Carrie Daws author of The Embers Series
- Benjamin Ellefson author of The Land without Color
- Kate Harvie author of Believe It and Behave It: How to Restart, Reset, and Reframe Your Life
- Marissa Shrock author of Deadly Harvest
- Elisa Maria Hebert author of A Better Plan
- J.D. Rempel author of Marigold
The above people pay to support the Novel Marketing Podcast. The Amazon links are affiliate links. Clicking them helps support the show.