In this episode we are going to talk about landing pages.
But first, an announcement: We now have a listener help and input line! You can call 512-827-8377 and leave a question on our voicemail and we might answer it on a future episode. You can also send us a high quality recording on NovelMarketing.com/contact.
What is a Landing Page?
- A landing page is a web page designed to get the visitor to take a specific action.
- Extreme landing pages are called Squeeze pages where only one kind of action can be taken. Usually, giving your email address and signing up for your newsletter.
- Typically, landing pages are educational and help answer any questions and objections someone has about taking that specific action.
- People typically come directly to landing pages and not through your website’s home page. This is the page new visitors “land” on.
- Landing pages are often not listed in the menu of a website.
- Traffic comes from Ads, Emails, Interviews, a link from the back of your ebook, or even physical book, etc.
- Example 1: www.PodcastHostDirectory.com
- Example 2: https://mailchi.mp/2c6ed6bde99f/free-song-from-rooms
Why are Landing Pages Useful?
- Landing pages work because they increase your conversion rate. More people take action on a landing page than they do on any other kind of page.
- They’re simple, easy to understand, easy for people to take action.
- The more options you give someone, the less likely they are to take any action.
- Jams Experiment
- This is why so few landing pages have navigation.
How Can Authors Use Landing Pages?
Authors use landing pages to:
- Get signups up for a launch team.
- Grow an email list by promoting a reader magnet.
- Sell a book
- MyBookTable Pro has a Landing Page mode that does this automatically
- Promote a launch party.
- Get signups for a Webinar or other online event
What to put on your landing page:
- Headline “The World’s Most Comprehensive Podcast Host Directory”
- Explanation/what they get “Get in contact with over 100,000 podcast hosts from around the world! Currently available for Novel Marketing Podcast patrons only.”
- Form (Sometimes a call to action button like “Buy Now”)
- Video (Optional)
- Testimonials/Endorsements (Optional)
- FAQ (Optional)
Landing Page Tips
- Stick close to the template.
- Assume that the person coming to the page is not yet convinced to take action. Ask yourself, what would push them over the edge to take action?
- Making sure your landing pages are mobile responsive.
- Have your buttons complete the sentence “I want to ____”
- Download the free guide
- Read the short story
- Sign up for the ______ (webinar, etc.)
- Keep the page focused. Don’t mention the sequel
- Answer the “why” which is the whole point of the thing!
- Answer the “what’s in it for me?”
- Respond to any objections.
- “You can unsubscribe at any time with one click.”
- “I won’t let anyone else have access to your email, ever.”
- Keep the form simple. Don’t ask for more than you need.
- Use trust badges if possible.
- Advanced: Split test your landing page to see what works and what doesn’t
Tools to Make Landing Page Creation Easier
- Expensive, top of the line solution.
- Divi Theme For WordPress (Affiliate Link)
- This is what Thomas uses.
- MailChimp, ConvertKit (Affiliate Link), and MailerLite all have landing page builders.
- Your website may have a landing page builder built in.
- MyBookTable Pro has a landing page mode. It is one of the biggest perks to upgrading to pro.
MyBookTable is a way to quickly and easily build an online bookstore on your WordPress website. Use it to rank #1 on Google for your book and to boost your book sales on sites like Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Get it free at MyBookTable.com. Novel Marketing Patrons save 25% on MyBookTable Pro. www.mybooktable.com.
You’re the Cream in My Coffee by Jennifer Lamont Leo
In 1928, small-town woman Marjorie Corrigan travels to Chicago and thinks she sees her first love–believed killed in the Great War–alive and well. Suddenly everything in her life is up for grabs.
Transcript generated algorithmically by Sonix(Affiliate Link).
Do you have a question you would like us to answer on the show? Call our listener help line! 512-827-8377. You can also send us a high quality recording on NovelMarketing.com/contact.