Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Stitcher | Podcast Index | TuneIn | RSS | More
In this episode of the Novel Marketing podcast, we’re going to talk about what has been consistently cited as the number one way to sell books … Word of Mouth.
You’ve heard that, yes? Studies have shown that Word of Mouth sells more books than any other marketing method by far … but today we’re going to turn that idea on its head, well, at least on its side. Here’s how: We’re going to talk about why word of mouth is not helping your sales.
First we’ll talk the good about Word of Mouth, then the bad, then the downright hideous … So Thomas, get us started. What’s the good part of Word of Mouth?
- Highest credibility form of marketing
- It snowballs
- When it works, it works very well.
- People live in bubbles. This limits the spread of ideas from Bubble to bubble.
- For example, the average number of friends people have on Facebook is 338.
- Word of Mouth tends to only kick in after you already don’t need it.
- Relying on “Word of Mouth” can be an excuse for laziness.
- There are so many books out there these days, it’s harder than ever to be the book everyone is talking about
- Word of Mouth primarily benefits the very best books. People don’t talk about every book they read. And most people don’t ask “what’s on your bookshelf”?
- Word of Mouth is Hard to measure. Who is talking about you? Who is listening? There is no way to know.
- You don’t control it, if it doesn’t work, there is nothing you can do.
- People self censor and your book may never come up.
- Some non-fiction books just don’t qualify for Word of Mouth
- People might worry that their taste is wrong. Have you ever recommended a TV and had people say “Ugh.”?
- How many times have you recommended a great book to a close friend? How many times to an acquaintance? Most people don’t have that many close friends.
Bottom Line: You can’t rely on Word of Mouth to sell your books.
Now a bit of good news … next episode, we’re going to talk about how you CAN use Word of Mouth … how you can make it work for you.
2018 Tax & Business Course for Authors
Where you will be after you take this course:
You will feel like you understand taxes for authors. Less stressed, more savings, better at making money.
Finally an honest convo about word of mouth marketing. Excited for the next episode! Blessings guys!