Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Stitcher | Podcast Index | TuneIn | RSS | More
What is Design by Committee?
- Something that everyone likes is typically something no one loves.
- Compromise leads to bad design. A camel is a horse designed by a committee.
- Think of a recipe. If you try to accommodate everyone’s preference you end up with catsup and peanut butter on ice cream.
How do you get feedback while avoiding mediocrity?
- Only ask experts and people within your target market.
- Explain the target market and the goals of the project before sharing the design.
- Ask “why” a several times in a row.
- Ask for problems not solutions. “My engine is clicking can you change my oil?”
- Don’t Incorporate everyones advice.
- Ask what kind of emotions it causes in them. How does it make you feel?
How do you give feedback to your designer?
- Consolidate Feedback
- Sleep on it.
- Ask questions of your design professional instead of giving orders. He or she is the professional. Don’t squander that expertise by taking over design yourself.
- Pick Your Battles and be willing to defer.
- Offer problems and suggest (not demand) solutions
(Jim) Author Media – Author Media has recently announced their new 2014 Website Package. Cheaper. These are now more affordable and come with even more design. Find out how to take your web presence to the next level at www.authormedia.com.